Saturday, January 2, 2010

Goodbye '09... Hello 2010!!

I've been doing a lot of reflecting on the past year lately and with this brand new year in front of us, I'd like to share some of my thoughts.

It's safe to say that 2009 was not our favorite year by any means, and when I say not our favorite, I mean that Steve was ready to burn our old calendar on the 31st. It was a rough year for us and some family members for sure. Here's a little run down of the past year.

The not so good:

- Steve left his job at Arizona Mail Order for the "dream" job at Funtasticks. It offered everything we wanted in a job and we were thrilled. We all know how that ended as it was a disastrous situation and he resigned a week later. What a trial of our faith! For something to feel so right and be so exciting to end up being so bad. It was a very scary situation.

- Unfortunately Steve has yet to find a job. These are rough times for a lot of people and there are so many looking for work, it makes it difficult to find a job right now. He was offered a job about 6 weeks ago and although it was a job and would've probably worked out, after much prayer and going to the temple we received the answer that it wasn't the right job for Steve. Yet another trial of our faith.

- Unless we get a good job offer in the next couple of weeks, we are looking to sell our house. A pretty tough decision but with our future still so uncertain, we are willing to do what we need to lessen the financial strain on our families.

The good:

- Preston!! He is always our "good" in any situation. We got to watch his grow from newborn to little boy this year and it has been amazing. Even with the hard times we've had, he is always #1 on our list when we start to count our blessings. He has so much energy and spunk that always keeps us on our toes. We know we have a lot of adventures ahead of us with him in our lives (ie. him just figuring out how to undo the cabinet child locks! fun times!). He really brings so much joy into our home and I cannot wait to see him continue to learn and grow in the new year.

- I was able to get a part time job in August and still work there. It's at a little neighborhood day care and I get to bring Preston for free. I've gone from working with the preschool kids to the babies and I love it! It's a great environment for me and Preston and although the pay isn't great, I am grateful that I am employed and that I can do a little bit to help our family.

- Although Steve is not employed quite yet, he (we) are grateful that he has had interest from companies and a few interviews along the way. They are great learning experiences and we're grateful because something is always better than nothing! We are also grateful for the friends and family that have offered him help and advice or have referred him to certain companies or positions. We have really been able to see and feel the support of love of our friends and family as they have rallied around Steve to help him find a new job.

- Our Families! We already knew that we had amazing families, but wow, what 2009 has shown us more than ever is how truly blessed we are to have the families that we have. They have all done so much to show their love, support, and compassion in our family's time of need. Obviously we are grateful for the financial support that we have received but the emotional support and the love that we feel from them has been so special and so precious to us. I'm not sure how we'll ever be able to show our true gratitude to all of them.

- My love for my Heavenly Father. This trial of Steve's unemployment and how it all went down, really shook my faith. I hate to admit that but it did. I was definitely questioning fairness in life, but I quickly realized that I am in no position to do that and that I had the wrong attitude about it all. I was very worried, scared, and down on most days about our uncertain future, which was really easy to do because it is a scary situation that we find ourselves in. Of course I always pray that Steve will find a new job soon, but instead of instantly blessing him with a job, Heavenly Father has blessed me with peace. I'm not sure how He does it, but for the past 6 weeks or so I have felt so much peace in my life. Even with all the uncertainty, I have faith and trust in the Lord that things will be ok. I'm not sure what his definition of ok is (hopefully it's not us living out of our car!) but I know that He will take care of us. It has been such an amazing blessing to have that peace because I know that if I was left to rely on just myself I would be stressed out, depressed mess, but I'm not because of the love of my Heavenly Father. I know that this has been a growing time for both of us, and although it's difficult I'm grateful for the faith that I've gained and for the lessons I've learned. That's not to say we're not ready for this chapter of our lives to end, like tomorrow!!

Yes, 2009 was a hard year but we still came out of it better for it. We are very excited, anxious, and hopeful for what 2010 has in store for us! Happy New Year to everyone!

7 comments:

Aranne and Dan said...

We know that 2009 has been tough.. for a lot of us.. but we are wishing nothing but the best for 2010 and hope that it will come your way. Know that we love you guys and are here for you...KNOW MATTER WHAT!

Anonymous said...

You have a great attitude Amy. And you have a lot more "good" on your list than "not so good". I'm sure everything will work out for you guys. We'll pray for a rush order though :)

Tatum said...

Being in a similar job situation, I appreciated your comments and I feel the same way about your faith being shaken. It reminded me that I am not the only one going through this and Heavenly Father is mindful of all of his childrens needs. Thanks.
I hope that 2010 brings great news and a great job for your family.

Carrie said...

Amy you have grown so much through all of this, I can tell. A job is just to help you guys sustain life. It still boils down to the most important being your cute little family. That is what you've stayed focused on and I admire that. Stay positive as are. We are thinking about you guys and wish you a life changing 2010. You guys are wonderul people!

Mike and Holly said...

Amy, you have found a key that will come to your aid again and again in life. You can tell with just about anything with the Lord on your side. You are all in all our prayers!

Savana said...

Sounds like you deserve a good 2010! Here's hoping that you receive all the blessings that you deserve! Keep your chin up, you have a lot to be grateful for and that makes life, however difficult, bearable!

Leann said...

You guys are such an inspiration to me. Thanks for reminding me that everyone has their struggles and we all need prayers. I'm glad you know the Lord is on your side, and I know he will help you get through this!