Friday, September 17, 2010

It's Official...

The Wilkers are moving...



We've known for awhile that we'd have to sell our house, we simply just can't afford it. After the bank (Bank of America, who we hate with a passion!) denied us of a loan modification or help of any kind, our only options were to short sale or foreclose. So, we're trying for a short sale and are nervous but hopeful. Our house has been listed for just over two weeks, and so far there's not a lot of interest, but oh well. It's weird that our home is for sale and it will be hard to say goodbye to it, but we hope that it all works out.

So, where are we going?!? The million dollar question: and the answer is... Idaho!!

Yes, we are moving to Idaho. Here's the story: Steve's parents live in Pocatello, Idaho and his dad recently purchased the franchise rights to a hair salon called Fantastic Sams. They are planning on opening several locations starting with two, one in Pocatello and one in Idaho Falls, which is an hour away. There's been talk for awhile about having Steve come up to help open and manage the Idaho Falls location and then hopefully other locations. At first it was kind of just a joke when we talked about it but as time went by and we talked more and more about it with Steve's parents, it became more of a reality. We never thought we'd move to Idaho, it's still pretty crazy that it's really happening. The thought of moving away is scary and sad, but after over a year of unemployment and waiting around for something to happen we feel this is the next step for us and a whole new chapter for our family. Our faith has been tested for sure, since this will be the scariest and biggest thing we've ever done as a family. Even with that, we at least have a small idea of what the future holds, which is a start. We think we'll be moving the end of October or the beginning of November and we think we'll be living in Idaho Falls, or possibly Pocatello. There are still a lot of details to figure out, like where to live and other important things like that, but we'll get there eventually.

I feel like ever since we've made this decision, I've been making a mental list of pros and cons in my head. So here it goes:

Cons:
- The biggest by far, is moving away from my parents in Phoenix. That is really what's making this so difficult. It's going to be really hard for all of us and I can't stand the thought of Preston living so far from them. We're not the first ones to ever move away from their parents so I know we'll survive somehow and make it work.
- Living farther away from other family and friends that live far away.
- Snow!! I've never lived outside of Arizona and I'm going to freeze.
- On that note, none of us have any good winter clothes or coats or shoes. We are totally unprepared!! And we're moving at the worst time, when it will already be cold.
- New city.
- Don't know anyone besides family.
- Leaving friends behind.
- Leaving beautiful Tucson winters and weather (besides the heat of course!).

Pros:
- Steve having a fresh start and a new career!! He's excited for this opportunity to be challenged and grow. And even though family businesses can sometimes be complicated, he feels good about how well his dad and him work well together and compliment each other.
- I get to be a stay at home mom again!! This was part of our deal of moving away, that I wouldn't have to work anymore. I'm very excited to be able to stay at home and take care of my family and our home (where ever that is!).
- We get to experience four seasons.
- No more crazy AZ heat!
- We'll be closer to Steve's immediate and extended family for the first time.
- We'll be closer to some of my extended family in Salt Lake City.
- A new adventure for our family.

There you have it. There won't be any Wilkers in Arizona anymore, but Idaho here we come!!

6 comments:

Kara said...

There are fantastic sams in las vegas. At least there were when I lived there. I'm excited for you guys and this new adventure. Good luck with that snow ;)

sb said...

I'm sure it'll all work out fine. There are pros to being away from family! :) I hated the snow when we moved to it, but you adjust, although I didn't ever really figure out how to drive in it properly. As far as warm clothes, I figure if you have a thick jacket, scarf, hat, and gloves, you'll be fine. The jacket's the only expensive part. Good luck, Amy, and congratulations!

Stefanie said...

Hey guys! We are so happy to hear about Steve's new opportunity! Idaho is beautiful and I know you will be happy there because you will be together and that's what is most important. AZ will definitely miss the Wilkers! Good luck and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's exciting! I can think of two more pros for you. You get to buy cute winter clothes. And one for Preston...SNOW DAYS! :) Good luck on your new adventure.

Carrie said...

This is wonderful news. To move to Idaho and have to give up a limb would be hard but you are moving to Idaho for opportunity and growth you can't get as a family otherwise. To just up and leave everything you know seems excrutiatingly painful huh? You totally took me back to 4 years ago. That is exactly my sentiments when we moved to Arizona. I had always lived in Salt Lake my entire life and no one in my family or Joel's had ever moved out of state. We were lifers. Until. We moved at the worst time you could move to Arizona. July! Our car dash read 119 degrees when we drove through Phoenix and I cried. The repeated question was "What are we doing?!" It blossomed, becuase it eventually does, and through it Joel has a job, Joel is career focused, I am immersed in my roles, and we met the most amazing people that we will never ever forget in a million years. That short 2 year stint brought all that into our lives. BEST WISHES!!!!

Leann said...

Amy! I'm so happy for you guys! This will be great! The first winter is always the coldest! If you can get by the first winter borrowing stuff... sales are awesome come March-ish for good winter clothes... most of mine I got 50% or more off by waiting through the first winter.
I'm excited for you guys.

Hey, if you need someone to throw a going away party, let me know! (I'll get Meghan to help... and it will be fun!)