I'm not going to lie, the adjustment to having two kids has not been easy for me at all. Preston's terrible two-ness is as bad as ever and he really isn't an easy child right now. Don't get me wrong, I love my little boy and he has moments of super sweetness but he also knows exactly how to push our buttons and disobey. I'm reading a great book right now called The Happiest Toddler on the Block and one of the great quotes in there is, "Having a toddler is like running a blender without the lid." That totally describes Preston right now. The book also describes Preston's active temperament as "spirited" which we think is a nice term for CRAZY! Between trying to keep Preston busy all the time and trying to keep him out of trouble so he'll live to the age of 3, we have our hands full. Abby on the other hand is a good baby. She eats great and sleeps great at night. She stills only wants to calm down and go to sleep for me, which can get frustrating. I'm starting to put her on a more stable schedule starting this week and hopefully she can learn to put herself to sleep soon. I think if she were my only child I would have no complaints, but with our crazy boy it's hard to always be able to hold Abby and give her all time that she wants from me. With these two kids I've been having moments where I get overwhelmed really easily and feel like I might not ever have a normal life again.
I've been trying to focus on just the basics. There's a great quote from Julie B. Beck that says, "Be brilliant in the basics." I love that and think it totally applies to motherhood. The house might not always be clean, my errands might be left undone, or I might not finish the laundry but it's ok if I'm putting all my energy and focus into being the best wife and mother that I can be. I love being a mom and am grateful that I get to stay at home with my kids, it really is a blessing.
This is where Steve has stepped in!! He's watched the kids so that I can go to the temple and a couple movies by myself to have the break that I needed. Last week he made an effort to be home more and it really was a big help. He even took Preston to see Cars 2 by himself on Friday, meanwhile I got all my errands and cleaning done because it's way easier with just Abby! It felt so good to be so productive! I'm grateful that Steve is so understanding and supportive. He doesn't give me a hard time or wonder what I've done all day because he knows that the job of Stay at Home Mom isn't always an easy one. I still don't know how people have like 8 kids, but for now we'll just focus on the 2 that we have!
This was on Father's Day. Abby's shirt says "Daddy's Love Bug." Preston already took off his "My Dad is Rad" shirt. Love this man!
One of Abby just cause! She had her two month appointment last Monday and got her shots, sad face. She weighs 11lbs. 6oz. (60th percentile) and is 23 inches (75th percentile). Thought the little bandaids were a little sad!
3 comments:
Yes Amy, the first year with two kids is tough. But just wait until they start playing together. Its the best thing ever. They can actually entertain themselves for significant periods of time and it rocks!!!!! This too shall pass :) And good job Steve!
what a great husband!! i am sorry about everything!! i hope you can hang in there and get the inspiration you need to handle things!! pray, pray, pray! hang in there girl!!!!
Amy - thanks for this update, I really appreciated hearing your woes with such a positive attitude. I'm getting nervous to attempt this 2 kid thing, and just reminding myself that it is going to be hard, but that if I take it one day at a time, I'll be ok.
You are an amazing example to me. I'm so happy for both of you guys!
Post a Comment