Thursday, August 19, 2010

On my mind...

I've had a lot on my mind the past few weeks that I've been meaning to get out in words on here but of course I haven't gotten around to it. Not sure where to start, hopefully this makes sense...

It's been a year since Steve left his job at Funtastiks... wow, a year. Life has been throwing us curve balls ever since. We never would've guessed we'd be in this position a year later with Steve still looking for a job. There have been a couple opportunities but nothing has worked out for us, it's pretty crazy. I just read the book, The Last Lecture which I highly recommend, so much advice for how to live a better life and achieve your childhood dreams. The quote I loved the most was, "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." So true!! This past year hasn't been anything that we planned but we've definitely gained a lot of experience and whether we like it or not we've learned a lot from it all (slowly learning, but learning none the less).

Patience This is a big word for me!! I was having a really rough time a few weeks ago having enough patience with our current circumstances. I was grumpy and negative about everything and I hate feeling that way. That Sunday the lesson in Relief Society was about patience, it was a great lesson and absolutely perfect for me! I love when that happens! It was just the reminder I needed that patience is about having enough faith in our Heavenly Father's plan for us and his timetable. This is definitely not an easy thing, but a little easier knowing that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and my family and knows exactly who I am, what I'm going through, and what I need. I have my ups and downs and it's sometimes a daily (if not moment to moment) struggle to have enough faith and patience, but I'm trying. I guess that's what counts.

Generosity of Others Normally I like to be the one performing acts of service for others but I've learned how amazing it feels to be the subject of that service. About a month ago we had a large box and bag dropped off anonymously on our doorstep. They were filled with food, shampoo, soap, lotion, and cleaning stuff. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. To clarify, we are not going hungry or going without soap or anything like that, so please don't think that! But just to know that someone (I'm assuming from the ward, but I don't know for sure), took that much time and effort to put that altogether and bring it to us. I was so truly touched by their generosity, I get choked up just thinking about it. I can't wait until we get to pay that generosity forward.

We've also been so blessed with amazing families and their generosity. If it wasn't for them we would've been homeless a long time ago, not even kidding. Our families are the ones who keep us going and tell us over and over that it's all going to be ok and work out in the end (sometimes we get tired of hearing that, but we know it's true). It's amazing how we'll get a card or note from family (sometimes with a check inside) on a particularly rough day or when the bank account was getting scary low. It's been very easy to see the tender mercies and I know the hand of the Lord is very present in our lives.

I feel like our lives our full of question marks right now: house, job, where to live, etc. Kind of a scary place to be but at this point we're anxious and ready for whatever is coming next. I've definitely learned that things in life don't always fall into place like we want to or plan BUT THAT'S OK, that's a huge realization for me! We can't sit around and wait for things to change or get better, we have to enjoy where we're at and just take life as it comes. I'm feeling very optimistic about life right now and I'm hoping to hold onto that feeling for awhile!!

My boys napping at my parents' house. I love them so very much!!

7 comments:

Tatum said...

You are so Srtong and such a good example to me. Hang in there. You guys are in my prayers!

Stefanie said...

This is such a great post Amy. It's true, sometimes we have to clear the worry from our minds so that we can be open to whatever message is necessary at that moment. Keep your chins up! You will always have what you need. I truly believe that! Love you guys.

Kara said...

Thanks for this post Amy. I love the section on patience. I think we all need to hear that. Patience is a hard thing sometimes. I'm sorry you are going through this, but it's true... it WILL work out in the end. We are praying for you guys and hope things work out for you. You guys deserve it.

Emily said...

great post amy! well said. i am so glad you have had such great support.

Carrie said...

Life experience. It proves we are strong when we have no other choice but to be. Continue to have a good attitude. We absolutely admire your family.

Chelle said...

I wont lie.. Your post helped me a lot. I think I need to post something similar. We have been in the same situation the last 6 months. Difference is Ryan has had a job.. Just not paying enough. Its a tough spot for sure. Its nice to show the appreciation you have for the help you have received!
I think staying positive has helped a little bit. But again.. its all hard isnt it! Thinking about you guys, you ever need someone.. call me! We can talk together!!

Leann said...

I am so grateful for my family's love and support in my life too! I'm glad they have been there for you.
I love you guys and pray for you!