Sunday, August 12, 2012

I did it!!

That's right, I ran a 10k, my first race ever!!  I seriously started getting nervous for this 2 weeks ago and getting a cold a week ago and missing a couple runs, I wasn't feeling completely prepared.  We drove down to Pocatello Friday night and stayed with Steve's family and got up early to head to the park where the start and finish were.  Once again I was super nervous but just ready to get it over with.  Steve's sister Angie ran her first race too, a 2.5k, very proud of her!  It ended up being randomly freezing and even poured rain for about 20 minutes just before my race started at 8, but after about 5-10 minutes the sun came out and it felt much better.

I was excited for my first race bib, but no, just an ankle bracelet.


I'm not going to lie, the race was hard and I wouldn't exactly call it fun.  I ran too fast in the beginning trying to keep up with a couple other women before I realized I couldn't and had to slow down a little bit.  By the middle of the race I was feeling pooped and kind of ready to cry but just pushed through.  My goal was to run the entire thing without any walking and finish under 1 hour and 11 minutes.  I ran the whole way and finished in 59:38.  I was pretty pleased to finish under an hour.  My favorite part was coming up to the finish line and seeing Angie and Tyson, and Steve, Preston, and Abby all waving and cheering for me.  They were chanting "A-my, A-my" except Preston who was saying "Mo-mmy, Mo-mmy!"  He ran up to me right after and said, "Mommy, you won the race!!"  It was such a sweet moment and felt great to have them cheering me on.



After 3 months of preparation, my race is finally done.  I am pretty proud of myself!  I have always been somewhat active, especially when I was at home and dancing 2 or 3 times a week, but I've never had to really push myself physically and it's not something I consider myself good at... so this was a big accomplishment... 6.2 miles, woohoo!!  Steve and Angie want to run their first 5k in October and I'm going to do it with them, should be fun!

The kids got to play on the huge playground while I was running...


3 comments:

Heather said...

woo hoo! I'm impressed! I *think* my goal is the shortest leg of Tour de Tucson. Way to go!

Kara said...

Way to go, Amy!! I don't think I would have the guts to do a 10k as my first race. Great job!!

Emily said...

good on ya mate!!! that is so amazing and you inspire me!!