Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christma-versary 2012

I know I've defined it in the past but Christma-versary is the combination of our anniversary (Dec. 18th) and our own Christmas festivities.  It's always been a fun tradition for us as a couple and now we get to figure out how to celebrate it with our kiddos.  For our anniversary, Steve's mom and sister took our kids last Friday night.  It was the first time we've had a kid free night at our house (only the 2nd kid free night we've ever had)... it was weird to be home without them.  But it was nice to not have to worry about the cost or time of a babysitter and do some fun things.  We were able to go the movies, get ice cream, sleep in (woohoo!!), go to lunch, get LOTS of cleaning done, and wrap almost all of the presents.  So nice.  They brought the kids back Saturday evening and stayed the night so they could listen to Steve sing a solo at church the next morning.  (I was so proud of him. He sang the song "Guard Him Joseph" and sounded great and even got choked up during it.  He got a lot of compliments because it was so touching.)

Yesterday was our actual anniversary.  8 years!!  Seems like forever and yet it's crazy to think of how many years and adventures we have in front of us.  We've been through a lot but seem to have only gotten stronger from our struggles.  I love him so very much and am so happy we have each other to lean on and support the other.  I can't imagine going through this life without him.  ...and with working with all of these stylists, some of which have crazy lives filled with drama, it has given me a greater appreciation for our happy marriage.  I've realized more now than ever that we are lucky to have a marriage filled with trust, respect, support, fun, and shared gospel principles.  I am a very blessed and lucky girl!

Last night we wanted to have our own little family Christmas party.  We had a nice candlelight (Preston's idea) dinner on our nice Christmas plates, had a nativity lesson with cut outs, drank hot chocolate, sang Christmas songs around the piano, and watched some little Christmas-y movies.  We were really trying to help Preston learn that Christmas isn't all about Santa Claus.  Hopefully he got something out of it!  They slept in their Christmas pj's and we had a few presents for them to open this morning (a couple of which are too big to make the trip to AZ).  We finished the morning off with a nice breakfast of cinnamon rolls, bacon and eggs and watching the "Polar Express."


We gave them a couple smaller presents early including some clothes which always seem to be a let down for Preston so I didn't mind him opening them now so he can actually wear the clothes.  Oh, and also this semi truck that Preston actually spied in my closet.  I figured since he already saw it, he might as well have it now.

Preston's "big gift." Surprisingly not too pricey from Walmart.  Love, love that we have this unfinished basement when we're cooped up in the house all winter.  We're hoping this is a good way to expend some energy!
This little kitchen was only $20 and I think it's PERFECT for Abby right now.  She doesn't need the ones that are like $150 and too big for her.  She instantly started playing with it.  With the basket of food that was only $3 she's all set.  

We had a great night/morning with these sweet kids who were so excited.  It seems a little weird to celebrate our actual anniversary as a family focused on Christmas but as Steve said, this is why we got married, to have a family.  It's so true.  I love my little family so much.

No comments: