Sunday, March 20, 2016

Broken Bone :(

Well, we had quite the adventure this past week.  After dinner on Wednesday, March 16th, Steve headed to the church for some meetings and I was getting the kids in the bath and shower.  Abby was already in the tub and Preston was getting ready to get in our shower.  He was just playing on our bed and jumping off of the railing at the end of our bed to try to touch the ceiling.  He was done this many times before but after a couple times, he lost his balance and fell off the bed sideways.  He fell down but didn't scream or cry in pain.  He started to get up and in a panicky voice he exclaimed, "I broke a bone!"  I assured him he didn't and tried to comfort him and get a better look.  He was starting to get upset and the pain was kicking in.  He held his right arm straight down and clearly something was wrong with his elbow.  To my very untrained eye it just looked like he had dislocated his elbow.  

I wrapped Preston in a blanket and called Steve, who thankfully knows that when I call when he's in a meeting than it must be serious.  He headed home while I googled dislocated elbows in kids.  Steve headed off to the ER with Preston where I thought they would just pop it back into place and be on their way.  I got the girls in bed and all of that normal stuff and finally heard from Steve after they had already been at the hospital for over an hour.  Steve told me that not only did Preston break the bone right above his elbow but that it was a bad break where the lower bones in his arm (I don't know the technical jargon, lol!) had rotated when they broke.  He went on to tell me that he needed surgery to put pins in, like right now.  I seriously thought Steve was kidding at first.  Nope, he wasn't.  It was all a little too much for this pregnant mama to be told my sweet boy needed to have surgery.  I was a crying mess!! Steve also told me that Preston had been so so brave and that the nurses and doctors were taking really good care of him.  
These x-rays are still crazy to me!  It looks so bad!  I have no idea how he didn't scream in absolute pain when it happened!

About 20 minutes later Steve called again to say that he was going into surgery.  Steve said he was able to give him a very quick blessing before they wheeled him away, which I am so grateful for.  The surgery only lasted for about an hour and the doctor said it went well and after a little bit in recovery they were taken to a room for the night.  Steve said it was a long night where neither of them really slept.  They saw the doctor Thursday morning to get the all clear to come home and were home before 9am.  

He has a soft cast with splints in it, that Preston tells us is very heavy from his armpit to his hand on his right arm.  Silver lining: Preston's left handed!  So he will at least be able to right and do some of those things.  He was to wear a sling for 3 weeks and then they will take the pins out.  We're not sure what they will do in 3 weeks, if he will get a new cast or what.  He has a follow up appointment on Tuesday so we're hoping to get some answers then and make sure it is healing well so far.  

Thursday was a rough day for Preston.  I think he was physically super exhausted and then the emotions of it all finally came spilling out.  He was just sad that he had broken a bone and was realizing his limitations for the next little while.  Poor guy, it was hard to watch him.  The highlight of Thursday was the complete outpouring of care and love for Preston and us, from family, friends and our ward family.  We (he) got calls, texts, visitors, treats, balloons delivered, and small toys.  We were truly touched by this show of support and it definitely made a tough situation better for him and us.  

Friday and Saturday were better days where he finally got some good sleep and started to play and do some of the things he loves, although he gets sore and worn out still.  He had to miss 2 days of school but the nice thing is that next week is spring break so he doesn't have to worry about going to school for a little bit.  Spring break also means Steve and the kids' trip to Nebraska next week, which is not great timing for a broken arm.  (which he find funny because when Abby broke her collar bone it was just a few days before we were headed to Nebraska!)  The doctor already gave him the green light to go on the trip, obviously being very careful, and since their is a regional hospital where they are going if they need anything.  Preston is a little worried he won't have fun but we keep reminding him that he is lucky to still be able to go and that it will still be fun.    

1 comment:

Emily said...

oh amy i am sooo sorry! hoping his recovery goes smoothly!!!