Tuesday, April 5, 2016

My sweet Grandma...

(I meant to post this last week but then I got super sick and it just didn't happen!)
My sweet Grandma (my mom's mom), Donna Jean Petersen, passed away a couple weeks ago on Monday, March 21st.  She had been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease for quite some time and had been living in a home for just over a year.  Unfortunately her passing was still quite sudden when she fell Sunday night leaving a broken hip.  She went downhill very quickly and my mom and aunt flew up from AZ to see her in Bountiful, Utah on Monday afternoon and she passed away Monday night.  Her husband and all of her children got to be there which was nice.

Her funeral was Saturday, March 26th and even though Steve and the kids were gone I still had the chance to attend.  We decided for me to rent a car because Steve had taken our mini van and our other car is a very old Toyota Corolla.  It's a great car around town and gets us to Rexburg and such but we weren't sure about me driving by myself with it down to Utah.  I picked up the rental on Friday night and left at about 7am yesterday morning.  It was great weather and a super easy drive (about 3 hours).

All of my siblings got to be there, some brought their kids and some didn't but it was ok.  I got to the church that is right by my grandparents' house in time for the viewing before the funeral.  Everything was so beautiful including all of the flowers and my grandma.  The funeral was really nice with my mom and her four siblings all sharing about their mom and their favorite memories of her.  Definitely not easy for this pregnant lady to sit through a funeral, lots of tears!





After the funeral we headed to the Bountiful City Cemetery and thankful the sun came out even though it was a bit chilly.  Apparently my grandma had requested years ago to have the bagpipes playing at her grave site.  It was pretty cool.  The hardest part of the day was seeing my grandpa's face.  I don't think he ever imagined she would be the first to go and they had been together since they were 16 and 17.  That's a long time!  So sad for him.  It is bittersweet for her because at least now she can have her mind back and be the woman she used to be.

We went back to the church to enjoy a nice luncheon.  Some of us stayed and chatted for quite a bit and then my siblings (and their families) went back to my grandparents' house.  I stayed and hung out for a bit before starting my drive home.  Thankfully the drive home was a smooth one too and I finally got home after returning the rental car at about 9pm.  It was a long day, but it went well and I was so glad I got to be a part of it!

No comments: