Thursday, February 24, 2011

Also Coming Soon...

Another thing that's coming soon... this baby!! Had my doctor's appointment yesterday and was able to go ahead and schedule my c-section. Little miss Abby's birthday will be...

April 19th!

Which happens to be Steve's birthday. He's been talking this whole time that he'd like to share his birthday with this baby and what better birthday gift than an addition to our family. That moves our little countdown up 5 days which is a little scary because I feel like there is so much to be done still. We're so excited for this little girl and now we get to plan for her big arrival!



On a somewhat related note... I have found it very interesting some of the differences between Arizona and Idaho when it comes to pregnancy and having a baby. The biggest one being that the doctors and hospital I was going to in Tucson wouldn't even allow you to attempt a vbac because of some of the risks involved. But here in Idaho, it's pretty much expected that you'll attempt a vbac. I've been given some pretty strange looks and have almost been made to feel bad when I tell doctors/nurses/random people that I'm choosing to have a repeat c-section. Totally different than Tucson, when that was what was expected. I'm not sure why there is such a big difference, might be because the families here want to have more kids (like 6!) and that's hard to do with repeat c-sections. Last time when I was induced, went through labor, pushed for an hour and a half and ended up with a c-section, it was a really rough recovery because my body had to recover from both processes. I'm not prepared to go through all that again and since a vbac is not guaranteed, I'm fine with just doing the c-section. I know it's still surgery and it is a longer recovery time, but I think I'm much more mentally and physically prepared for it this time and know what to expect. ...Ok, I'm done babbling... I just hate that I feel like I have to defend a decision that was totally unquestioned and fine in another state, seems weird to me.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I think you do a really good job standing by and defending your decision. It's easy for other people to think about what they would do in your shoes- but guess what? They're not! It's totally your choice, and I think it's a smart one after hearing your experience the first time. Just be strong and make sure that others know that you have thought about it and considered your options. Can't wait to see pictures of your little miss!

Kara said...

Yes, hospitals and doctors practice differently wherever you go. As a person who's also been through a c-section, I respect your decision. It always bugs me when I hear people say "sorry" when someone had to have one. I always think "what's there to be sorry about? I have a healthy baby" good luck and I'll be thinking about you on April 19th!

sb said...

People are trained to think that vaginal births are better because they're "natural." I've been guilty of saying "sorry" to a c-section mom, but because I feel like it's a surgery and there's a difficult recovery ahead. I've heard lots of c-section moms mention how much their incision site hurts for weeks and months after the birth. So, yeah, some of the side effects of surgery suck and I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Other than that, try not to worry about what people say or do. Most of the time they don't mean to offend. And, really, we always know the answers when it's not us who have to make the decision, right? (I was a much better and more confident parent BEFORE I had a child. :)

Jasmine said...

Having a baby is hard, exhausting, and challenging no matter what so I'm always on the side of do whats best for you!