Saturday, September 5, 2015

First Day of School!

This past Monday, August 31st, was Preston's first day of 1st grade at Tiebreaker Elementary!!

He was nervous earlier in the summer about the differences between kindergarten and first grade but as it got closer and closer he just got more and more excited and was so ready for the first day!  There were some last minute changes to his teacher and we weren't sure who it was going to be until the night of the back to school bbq when we found out it would be Mrs. McMurray, his kindergarten teacher from last year.  I think that definitely eased any remaining fears he had.

Preston had a great first day and loved having lunch there and having more recess time.  His first words to me when I picked him up was, "It was awesome!"  He had a great first week although the earlier, longer days wore him out as the week went on.  He was really tired on Friday and when Steve picked him up he didn't seem like himself at all.  My poor boy had a fever and was exhausted!  He still has a fever and is just lethargic today so we are taking it easy and having a movie day.  Good thing it is Saturday (and a long weekend) so we don't have to miss any school and hopefully he'll feel better soon.
He's barely moved from this spot since yesterday afternoon and he slept in until almost 9 this morning!
I have to say that having kids get older is stressful!!  I have been anxious about him going back to school for about a month.  I get so worried about him and hope that he has friends, makes good choices, and does well with his school work.  He's a good boy and smart but I still worry and hope this school year will be a good one for him.  I was also really anxious about him going back to school because he is gone longer now.  I miss him while he is at school and the house is weird and quiet when he is gone.  I was really sad the first day and it felt like starting kindergarten all over again.  I know it will be an adjustment but it just means that I get to give him lots of hugs and kisses when he is home!

No comments: