Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Nursing Cover...

First of all, where has August gone?!? Holy smokes I can't believe it's going to be September tomorrow. We're really trying to squeeze in as much fun, summer activities because we know our nice, warm days are numbered... boo!

My latest sewing project was a new nursing cover for myself. I've had the same nursing cover that I bought before Preston was born. It's worked great but I'm only now realizing that it's really small which doesn't work for a squirmy 4 month old. I found a couple tutorials and figured out something that worked for me. It actually went surprisingly quick even though I had to do some things I've never done before like using boning and d-rings. I love it and can't wait to use it (and not worry about flashing anyone while trying to feed Abby in public). I especially wanted to get this done since we're headed to AZ next week.

All of the tutorials only used one layer of fabric but I decided to use 2 different pieces of cotton. Thought it made it a little more sturdy and with cooler temps heading our way, the extra fabric won't hurt!

2 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Is the tutorial that used online? I had one that I didn't really use, and I think it feel apart. Would like to have that tutorial to make a new one for me (when that time comes) and for gifts. Looks great!

The Wilker Family said...

Heather- I used 2 different tutorials (sorry I forgot to put the links in!) they are:
http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/01/diy-nursing-cover.html

http://sewmuchado.blogspot.com/2009/02/description-stylish-and-practical.html

I really combined the two, I liked the straps from one, the dimensions of the other and I had to tweak it anyways because I wanted to use 2 layers of fabric. The major thing I did different was only using 12in. boning instead of 14 or 16 like the tutorials. I read on another website that unless you have a large chest (which I do not, even while nursing) it can start to feel like a covered wagon, lol! Anyways, even though I had to play around with the tutorials, it was still pretty easy and I'll definitely keep it in mind as a gift idea.