Monday, June 16, 2008

Grandma Wilker's Funeral

Last Monday Steve's Grandma Wilker passed away. She's had poor health for a long time so this was definitely not a surprise and I think everyone agrees it was for the better. Steve's parents were gracious enough to fly us up for the weekend so that we could be there for the funeral.

I'm fortunate enough to have never been to a funeral before so it was definitely a new experience for me. It was a very full weekend between the viewing, the funeral, the grave site, luncheon, and lots of family. The service on Saturday was very beautiful and even though I didn't know her very well, she was an amazing woman, mother, and grandmother. Steve was able to participate by being the chorister and had an opportunity to be a pall bearer. It was a beautiful day and it was great to finally meet and spend some time with a lot of the Wilkers.

2 comments:

Aranne and Dan said...

you are lucky this was your first funeral.. they are not fun! I have been to my fair share and don't look forward to them at all... Glad it was a nice service though.

Stefanie said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. It's wonderful to know that families are forever and that you'll get to be with her again someday!