It's my last night in the hospital and I thought I'd post about this little girl's arrival before we go home and things get crazy. As I'm sure everyone knew, Abby was scheduled for a c-section on Tuesday, April 19th on Steve's birthday. Well this little girl had her own ideas...
I had my to do list ready to go for Monday, April 18th of all the last minute things I wanted to get done before Tuesday. But I woke up at about 5:50am with some pretty painful cramps and pressure. I thought it was just more of the discomfort and soreness I'd been feeling lately until I realized that this was different because it really hurt! Then I noticed that the pain was coming and going. I was having contractions!! I never had any with Preston so this was a whole new experience for me. They were coming every 7 to 9 minutes and by 8am they were coming every 3 to 5 minutes. I called my doctor's office because I had no idea what to do since I was already scheduled for the next day. They told me to come in to get checked to see if I was actually in labor or not. So Steve, Preston and I headed to the doctor at about 9am. The on-call doc was running behind because she had to do a c-section, so I had to sit in the waiting room for over a half hour having contractions every 4 minutes... not fun! I finally got seen by the doctor who checked me and told me that I was already dilated to almost 5cm and was contracting every 3 minutes. I was in for real labor and she said we were having a baby in less than an hour! Not going to lie, I started crying and getting emotional. I thought I had one more day before baby and it was very overwhelming! My doctor's office is in the same building as the hospital I was going to, so they took me the back way to labor and delivery to get me all set up for my c-section. Steve and Preston took off because Steve had to find a place for Preston to be. We had it all set up for Steve's mom to come up from Pocatello on Tuesday to stay with Preston so she headed on her way but wouldn't be here in time. Our neighbor and friends were gone so Preston got to hang out at the salon with some of the stylists there. Pretty funny but it worked out ok and there were enough dum-dums there to keep him distracted. Back at the hospital they had me all ready to go in under a half hour and then we were just waiting for Steve to come back. Once he got back, it was go time. I got my spinal block and before we knew it they were already doing the c-section. It was so crazy how fast the whole thing was. And then there was baby Abby!!
Abby Jean Wilker was born at 11:29am and was 7 lbs. 4 oz. and 20 1/2 inches long. Of course the tears flowed and it just felt amazing to finally meet our sweet girl. She screamed when she was getting cleaned up, surprise, surprise we didn't get a quiet one! They handed her to Steve and she got to stay with us from then on. My first c-section was horrible: I was exhausted, gagged, threw up, had a horrible burning sensation, and got the shakes really bad afterwords, and I didn't get to really see or hold Preston for the longest time. This c-section and the whole experience was literally 20 times better. I felt so much better through the whole thing and I got to be with my little girl the whole time. We feel so blessed to have our baby girl here and she is healthy, normal and doing great. Our joke is that she didn't want to share her birthday with her daddy. Our little disobedient girl needed her own day. Steve told her right after she was born that she was in time out for not listening and staying put for one more day. It was a really crazy, unexpected day and before we knew it she was here, the most important part.
We are both doing well. Abby is eating and sleeping great and we're loving her amazing hair and how tiny she is. I, of course, have some pain but that's to be expected with a c-section recovery. We are just loving on this little girl and can't get enough of her sweet cuddles. We are a happy family!
7 comments:
congratulations!! I love having girls they're so much fun. hope recovery goes well. take care of yourself and that family of yours.
Congrats! She is so adorable! Hope you are feeling better soon!
Yay! Congrats Amy! Such a cool story. I LOVE hearing delivery stories. I am so glad she is here.. safe and sound. Enjoy it.
Oh my! I would have freaked out! Exciting that it all worked out and she's her safe and sound. Adam also came super quick... maybe it's a second child thing? ;) Good luck with recovery and these first few newborn weeks.
So glad that everything turned out! I can't wait to meet her! Thanks for sharing your story... I am so scared for labor... I only hope I can handle it :/.... But you give me some hope.:) let us know if there is anything we might be able to do to help out... Ps Preston is welcome anytime. Good luck on recovering! Congrats to you and Steve!
Abby didn't want to just have her own birthday, she also didn't want to have a boring labor/delivery story. You better watch out with this one! Haha. Glad everything turned out wonderful and that you're feeling good!
So wonderful and amazing! I totally know the emotions when they come sooner than you expected. I was dealing with the pain of labor ok... but OH, the emotions were what made it a roller coaster. Congrats!
Post a Comment