Saturday, October 18, 2008

Juror #7


That's me, juror #7! Okay, so I got jury duty for the very first time and found out I had to report at 11am on Wednesday. I really thought nothing more of it than a missed day of work and just hanging out all day. I actually thought that everyone would just see how hugely pregnant I am and excuse me on the spot, but boy was I wrong! I got selected for the first trial that was called up after our lunch break, which really caught me by surprise because I hadn't actually considered being chosen as a juror. It was for a narcotics case which was very short but very difficult because the only evidence in the case was circumstantial. They finished presenting the case half-way through Thursday and we started deliberating. We came to no conclusion and had to go back Friday morning. It became clear pretty quickly that we were not going to all agree, so the case ended in a mistrial.

I won't say that it was the most convenient thing for me to serve on a jury this week, but it was a really interesting experience. I really enjoyed seeing the whole process in action. It's not quite the same as "Law & Order" shows it on TV, but it was a good experience and one I wouldn't mind repeating.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I got jury duty in AZ sent to me here in UT...uhh, no thanks...hope they got the hint! (Don't worry, I sent the form back stating I moved.)

Aranne and Dan said...

Can't believe you actually got on a case. I have only been called to jury duty twice and only had to go to the court room once and then got dismissed because of being sick! Yeah... Oh I better knock on wood!