Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Happy List...

We obviously know that the job of a mother isn't always an easy one and more often than not it can be frustrating and challenging. My day is filled with diapers, potty breaks, feedings, meal prep, cleaning, laundry, disciplining, errands, play time, dishes, cleaning, oh and more cleaning, and being at the beckon call of a busy 3 year old and a 9 month old. Everyday can't be amazing and wonderful all day long. That's just an unrealistic expectation. So instead of feeling bad that my days aren't always the best ever, I've been making more of an effort to recognize the moments that make it all worth it and make my days good. At the end of the day I try to think of what my "happy" was that day, what made me smile. I'm also trying to make those moments happen or recognize them as they're happening, like making the effort to make Preston laugh or playing one on one with him with no distractions for a little while or waking up to my smiley baby and giving her extra kisses. I've been thinking a lot about this lately and it has helped me feel more positive and feel better about how I'm doing as a mommy. I've been mentally collecting these happy moments and I want to make sure I remember them. The things that make me happy:

- Abby's open mouthed kisses that she gives a lot. I swear she will turn her head and give me kisses when I ask her for kisses.

- How excited Preston and I get when Daddy comes home. Preston loves the sound of the garage door.

- Most mornings, Preston wants to watch at Steve leaves for work. So we stand at the door to the garage and watch as he pulls away and most times Preston runs out into the garage and he and daddy yell "I love you" back and forth until Steve pulls out of the cul-de-sac. Today Preston said, "I don't want Daddy to go work cause I love him."

- How Abby's face lights up when she sees me. Her smiles are priceless.

- Preston being "Baby Preston." Him pretending to be a baby can be a little annoying sometimes when he cries or whines, but his little imagination is so cute. A lot of time when he plays he will tell us what to say like, "Say baby Preston wants a blanket?" or "Say sure Mommy." It's pretty funny that I get fed my lines.

- Sitting on our bench at church with Preston squeezed between Steve and I and Preston says "We're sitting ALL together." A good place to be altogether if you ask me.

- Coming home from an exciting Saturday night at Mcdonald's to it snowing. It was past Preston's bedtime but took advantage of the moment and played in the snow and threw snowballs for almost 45 minutes.

- Being able to be lazy in the mornings. There are some days that we don't get dressed until 10 or 11. I feel pretty lazy on those days but at the same time, I'm grateful that I don't have to rush myself or the kids out the door and I don't have anywhere to be that early. We can take our time and enjoy ourselves. I know a day will come when Preston starts school where we won't have that luxury anymore. Don't get me wrong there are days that we are out of the house by 9 but it's nice that it's up to me for now.

- The way Abby smiles and laughs at Preston. She really loves her brother.

- This one might sound lame, but Facebook, blogs, and pinterest make me happy. I would feel so lonely without these things. I feel in touch with the outside world when a lot of days the only other adult I talk to is Steve. I love reading the funny adventures of my friends and family and all the random stuff and like that it can keep me in the know when others are in need. I just got into pinterest and love it. Tons of new craft ideas, recipes, and super fun things for kids all at my fingertips. So fun. I'm not sure if this is sad or not, but life would be a little more boring without these things.

I feel like there's a lot I'm forgetting but I like the idea of making those little moments count. In the end I think those things will last in my mind and memory over the things that have to get done and keep me busy or the times that my kids driving me nuts. I'm trying hard to add to my happy list everyday!

4 comments:

Heather said...

good post and I feel ya! I love that I really get to be a 'stay-at-home-mom' right now and we don't have too much of a schedule that demands that I get up and get dressed ASAP. I think it's important too look for the good in the day too :)

Kara said...

I really love this idea. Especially since yesterday was a very hard day with a four year old and then a screaming baby at bedtime. But this morning I had a four year old singing in bed and a baby smiling and cooing at me during her feeding. It's always good to remember the little moments instead of focusing on the major thongs that went wrong.
( I, too, love pinterest. I need to find you!)

Adrian said...

I love these! I'm appreciate the reminder!!

Anonymous said...

Great post, I'm with Kara. Today was a rough day so its nice to have a reminder on these days to focus on the positive and the importance of what us Professional Wipers aka moms do.