I'm actually in AZ at the moment and will have lots of pictures to post of the fun we're having here but I figured I could do a post that I've been meaning to do for a little while.
At times I wondered if I'd ever be able to say it but now I can, I officially have a potty trained Preston! Hooray!!!! It was kind of a long road but not as bad as I expected it to be. My goal was always to have him potty trained by the time he was 3, we didn't make it but we came close. I am one of those that thinks potty training cannot be rushed and in many cases is just better if you wait. This was definitely true with Preston. We had been casually encouraging using the potty for months and he would sometimes go like at bath time or diaper changes with increases in excitement if I offered treats or stickers. But when it came time to be serious about it, he was not excited at all, the novelty had worn off and would much rather sit in a wet diaper. I just decided that it was time to buckle down, so we hunkered down and took all the diapers away (except at night time of course). He wasn't very excited and would just hold his bladder for as long as he could and then there would be a puddle on the floor. After a few days of this and declaring that he didn't like underwear or going potty he started to pick up on it and would race to the bathroom. He got better and better from there and after only 2 weeks of really potty training he had been accident free for 6 days!
The first few days were rough and we weren't sure if it would really click but I'm very surprised and proud of how well Preston's done (especially being ok with number 2 in the potty and everything). It really is his personality to do things in his own time and way. He's only had a few accidents since then and has even woken up in the middle of the night to use the potty even though he's in a diaper. This comes just in the nick of time for him to start preschool next week (you know there'll be a post about that!).
No comments:
Post a Comment