Sunday, April 28, 2013
Second 10K...
The end of April sure came fast!! I had decided to run this 10k, The Heart & Sole of Rigby, a couple months ago. I was doing pretty well in my training and feeling good about things until we went to AZ for a week. I had planned on not running that week but didn't count on being so exhausted and busy when we got back, so that was an extra 4 days of not running, not good! My runs after that were awful and I felt way behind. So with that I was super nervous for this race and was freaking out all week. Unfortunately Steve had to work that day, but Steve's mom and Angie and Tyson came up to watch the kids while I was gone, so that meant I was on my own for the race. This also didn't help my anxiety thinking I might pass out and die without my family there to witness it! I'm not going to lie, this race was HARD!! I ran way too fast for the first mile or two and completely wore myself out early on. Seriously at mile 2 I was telling myself that I'd never run a race ever again. At mile 3 I wanted to cry and really had thoughts about needing to walk the rest of the way or quitting. Not good at only half way. Somehow I managed to just keep my feet going and got to the finish line. To my complete astonishment I finished the race in 58:12, last year's time was 59:38. My goal was to just finish without walking, so I was shocked that I was actually faster than last year (which is probably why I was having such a hard time!). After some water, orange juice, and an apple I felt like I might actually live! So happy to have it done!!
Even though I was pleasantly surprised by my time, this race didn't feel like a success. I have been thinking about doing a half marathon in the middle of June, but this race made it really clear that I have a lot of work to do before I could do that. While I was running I swore I'd never race again, and boy was I (and still am) sore, but then I still found myself last night looking up other half marathons later in the summer to consider. I'm not sure why, but there's something still driving me to want to do a half, maybe because I think it might be an awesome accomplishment, a bucket list kind of thing. I do have to say that I'm really proud of myself for accomplishing this race, even though it was hard. It was something that I set out to do all by myself.and I stuck to my plan and did it. I have had several friends/random women say that they couldn't do it unless they did it with a friend (ok, that partly makes me feel like a loser because I don't have anyone to do it with) but I was brave enough to just go for it! I'm taking a week off from running and then I need to come up with a new game plan!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Way to go Amy! I'm impressed!
Post a Comment