Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day in Utah...

My grandparents live in Bountiful, Utah and my Grandma has been suffering from Alzheimer's for a few years now.  She also had to have knee replacement surgery a couple weeks ago.  My mom and my aunt took advantage of her being out of the house and in the rehab center by flying up for a week and cleaning and organizing their house.  A lot of things have been misplaced by my grandma and things not cleaned for a long time so it's been a big job for them.  It's also been a very tough time because this surgery and time away from home has made her lose a lot cognitively in just a couple weeks.  It's been tough for everyone involved, especially my grandpa, with a long road ahead.

The kids and I decided to head down to Salt Lake for the day to hang out with my mom and visit my grandma and grandpa.  It's a little more than a 3 hour drive which is a bit long for just the day but the kids loved to see Grandma and I think it was a nice pick me up for her too.

We headed to the park with some lunch to enjoy the beautiful day.  We played in the backyard at my grandparents house for a long time and got to visit my grandma at the care center.  After some dinner at their house we said goodbye and made the drive home.  It was a good day and I was so glad that we went.  I'm pretty worn out today, but it was definitely worth it!
The kids (and I) are very excited that we'll be seeing Grandma again soon.  My mom is flying up a few days before baby comes and will be here to watch the kids while I'm in the hospital and to help after we come home.  Made saying goodbye a little easier this time!


It's a rough time around here for our grandmas.  Steve's Grandma Chandler suffered a massive stroke and a broken hip on Tuesday.  It's been pretty scary but the little bit of progress is promising.  She too has a very long road ahead of her with big changes, most likely not being able to live on her own, but we are all praying hard.

No comments: