So last Thursday, June 12th, we had received the call that Grandma Chandler wasn't doing well and that Elaine, Angie, and Tyson were getting on a plane that night to come see her. We knew we needed to go visit her right away and most likely say our goodbyes. Steve took the rest of the day off work and we headed down to the care center in Pocatello. That is never an easy thing to do to see someone you love and care about like that, with a feeding tube and almost completely unresponsive. Steve got to sit with her for a long time and hold her hand and talk with her... although that was hard to do because he would keep getting choked up. While we were there two of Steve's cousins also came to visit. It was nice to have so many around her who love her and share that with them. We were there for almost 2 hours and had a good experience and Steve was able to say his goodbyes. It was a tough day for sure.
All day Saturday we had gotten updates that things for Grandma weren't looking good and that she would probably not last through the night. That night, Steve's mom had asked if he could come down to be with them. He left at about 8pm and I was left to put the kids to bed. He was one of a few to stay at the care center all night and stay awake to watch for any changes to let the others know. He got maybe 2 hours of sleep. The nurses indicated that she was getting close so they were able to call the siblings that were close to come. She passed away at 10:08am surrounded by family. Steve felt pretty lucky to be a apart of that experience even though it was extremely difficult. He just said that it was beautiful and peaceful.
I've had the opportunity to get to know her over the past almost 10 years. She was truly an amazing lady. She had 6 children, and ended up with 30 something grand children and 60 great-grandchildren with 6 on the way this year (including ours). We said that she needed to go so that she could help all of these babies get here ok, a tender thought for us now. She remembered every birthday and anniversary and was the very definition of matriarch of the family with hosting family reunions and parties. I feel very blessed that I was able to know her. She was a widow for 40 years and it was her 65th wedding anniversary this past Tuesday, one that they got to celebrate together. We know that that was a very special reunion. Although we are all sad and will miss her, this is a wonderful reminder of the plan of salvation and that families really can be together forever. I am so grateful for this knowledge in times like these!
We weren't sure if he was going to be back in time for church but with how everything went, 11 o'clock church was not going to happen for him. I was here on kid duty with Tyson, Preston, and Abby which was fine since they really do keep themselves occupied. I was able to get us all ready and to church on time which I felt was an accomplishment! Sacrament meeting was quite the adventure with 3 kiddos by myself and I had to give a talk!! It was pretty chaotic and I just felt huge, sweaty and out of breath! I had many tell me that I did a good job on my talk, but who knows! The kids and I left after Sunday school (oh yeah, because I had to teach Sunday school too!) to get ready and drive down to Pocatello. Everyone was sad and exhausted (Steve was an absolute zombie!) but we were able to have a nice bbq at Lewis and Susan's house with the family that was there. We didn't get home until 10pm that night and we were all spent!
Steve really didn't get a Father's Day which I felt bad about. I had some fun treats and things ready for him when we finally did get home but definitely not the day I had planned. He really is a wonderful father, really the best. Both he and his mom had thanked me for letting him be with them Saturday night and Sunday, but to me I felt like it was telling of the kind of man he is that that is where he wanted to be instead of a day to celebrate him. He was there to support his family, which was where he needed to be. I love him so much.
With all of this, this week has turned into a crazy one, I'll do some other posts on some of the other stuff going on. Her viewing and funeral are this weekend which will be tough for sure but at least we get to see lots of family.
No comments:
Post a Comment