This is the last day that Preston's smile is going to look like this, so say goodbye... (he was having a corn dog and ketchup for lunch, a good look for him!).
Here's the story... I took Preston for his first ever dentist appointment last week, something I've been meaning to do for awhile but with us moving and all that, it got put on the back burner. Right before the appointment when I was brushing his teeth I noticed a little blister of sorts on his gums above his front tooth that is chipped. It hasn't bothered or hurt him so I didn't think anything of it. I took him to a family dentist in hopes that we could all go to the same dentist. The staff and everyone were very friendly and when the dentist came in I mentioned this newfound blister. I showed the dentist and after looking at it for maybe 5 seconds (not even examining it) he tells me that he has an abscess and an infection and that the tooth has to be removed. He leaves after maybe 1 minute and the next thing I know I'm scheduling a surgery date with the receptionist because he would be put under general anesthesia at a surgical center. I get home and tell Steve all of this and all I can say is, "What just happened???" The dentist was in and out so fast and by the time I was able to process the information and think of any questions, I was already home. I hate situations like that and I just felt so frustrated and stressed, not to mention I was upset because my son would be toothless.
After talking to Steve, we decided we would get a second opinion before doing anything. We found a pediatric dentist close to us and got an appointment for the next day. I was a little nervous about what this dentist would say but I just wanted someone to answer my questions. This place and the people were great, totally focused on caring for kids and knew what to do with them. The dentist came in and actually examined Preston's teeth and gums. Unfortunately he did say the same thing that the tooth would have to go, but he actually explained the reasons and answered all of our questions. It was so great! So yes, it's the same result, but both Steve and I felt so much better about the whole situation and understand why it has to be done. He even said that putting kids under for things like this is way overkill and doesn't recommend it, which I'm going to listen to him since all he works on is children. So Preston has his appointment tomorrow to extract that tooth. It's going to be rough and involve Steve or I holding him down and I'm sure there will be a lot of screaming and crying, but it's only supposed to take 20 minutes and then he's done and we can come home and give him a popsicle and watch cartoons all day. I'm sure he'll be braver than me!
It will be an adjustment for sure to have a toothless little boy and I'm trying to deal with that as his mom but in a way it kind of goes with his "rough and tumble" personality. I'm sure this is just the first of his injuries, broken bones, and what have you.
Oh and can I just say that this does not help my fear or hatred of the dentist?! I inherited bad teeth and so every time I go to the dentist, since I was little, it always meant cavities and having to go back for more appointments to get them filled. I've even had two root canals. So to me the dentist always equals something bad and I get so stressed through the whole process. Here I go for Preston's first little appointment and look what happens! And I have my first appointment with a dentist here on Thursday, already not looking forward to it because I know it will bring bad news!
3 comments:
How did he chip his tooth and why does it need to be removed? I don't know a whole lot about that kind of thing. Poor kid! I hope it goes better than expected.
Jenn- he chipped his tooth in like April when he was jumping on our bed and hit our metal bed frame. The dentist said that when he chipped it it pushed the tooth up and caused an infection. Pretty much the infection won't go away until the source is removed which is the tooth. He also said that if you leave it in, it can affect the permanent tooth that's forming right above the infection.
How sad! Hope everything goes well with little procedure. I've recently been thinking about taking Hayley to the dentist. I think I'll just postpone that a bit longer... Let us know how it goes!!!
Post a Comment