Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Toothless smile!

Well, we survived the dentist yesterday!! I think a bigger accomplishment for Steve and I than for Preston. We were both so anxious for the appointment and really nervous about how Preston would do. It makes you a little nervous when you have to sign a release form so they can use a papoose board on your child, basically giving them permission to torture them! All the ladies there and the dentist were so nice and did everything they could to keep him happy, they even put on Preston's favorite movie "Cars" so he could watch it on the tv on the ceiling while he was laying down. Steve stood right by him so he could keep a hand on him and I sat in a chair in the corner. He got all strapped in and wrapped up and started to get a little nervous when the dentist put on that numbing gel. Then it was time for the numbing shot and that's when the crying and screaming started. The dentist did so great and went so fast and next thing we knew she was pulling out his tooth. Still lots of screaming through that part but overall I think the whole thing lasted about 4 or 5 minutes. Lets just say it was good for all involved that it wasn't longer! I'm always extra emotional while pregnant and it is really hard to hear and see your child in pain. I was trying so hard to hold back the tears.

Right after they pulled out the tooth they unstrapped him and let Steve hold him. Poor boy was bright red and sweating but he calmed down after just a minute or two. The little monster trucks and stickers they gave him helped a lot too. We took him home and watched Cars with him some more and then he was fine the rest of the day. It was amazing how quickly he was back to his normal self and didn't seem bothered by the whole thing. We are so glad we decided to do it this way than general anesthesia or sedation and taking a whole day to recover, he was such a champ! I seriously think that Steve and I were more traumatized by it than he was!

Here's our toothless boy! I think he looks pretty goofy in this picture. It's a gaping hole that we're trying to get used to. We keep making jokes that we just need to put him in a diaper and boots and he'd blend right in at Walmart!

Some other cute shots I got while trying to get his smile.


Thankfully Preston doesn't have to go back to the dentist for 6 months!!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Ahh it starts. The joys of having your kids undergo something you don't necessarily want and would rather be in Disneyland. :) He looks great though. I promise in like 2 years he'll blend in with all the other toothless kids and it will grow back in a flash and it will be a funny thing of the past. Good job mom and dad.

Adrian said...

Tooth or no tooth...your kid is still a super CUTIE!!!! Glad you as parents survived the procedure! :)

Anonymous said...

He's just got a head start on the other kids :)

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Still such a cute boy~

Leann said...

Oh Amy,... so heart wrenching! I can feel your pain in the blog. You are not alone! But of course, he's still so adorable and you are GREAT parents for doing the right thing!